A View of the Parish
Abridged from: 1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).
Hever is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Ospringe. The church is named for St. Peter with original registers commencing 1632.
Hever, is a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands near the river Medway, 2-1/2 miles southeast by east of Edenbridge, and 3 miles SE of Edenbridge rail station; is postally served by Edenbridge, and a small inn with the sign of Henry VIII. The parish is 2,608 acres.
The manor belonged anciently to the Hevers or Hevres; passed to the Cobhams and the Brocas; was purchased, in the time of Henry VI., by Sir Geoffrey Boleyn, great-grandfather of Queen Anne Boleyn; was given, by Henry VIII., after the death of Anne Boleyn’s father, to Anne of Cleves; passed, by gift of Queen Mary, to the Waldegraves; was purchased, in 1745, by Sir T. Waldo; and belongs now to Edmund W. M. Waldo, Esq.. A castle on it, close to the Medway, dates from an ancient period; was rebuilt, in the time of Edward III., by Sir William Hever; was again refounded by Sir Geoffrey Boleyn, and completed by his grandson, the father of Anne Boleyn; was the scene of Henry VIII.’s first acquaintance with Anne Boleyn and of his course of courting her; retains curious traditional associations of his visits to it; is now an interesting specimen of the domestic architecture of its period; forms a quadrangle, surrounded by a double moat, and surmounted by high-pitched roofs and gables;
The church is mostly decorated English; consists of nave and chancel, with tower and lofty spire; and contains an altar tomb of Sir Thomas Boleyn, and memorials of the Cobhams and the Waldos.
Markbeech is located on the northern slopes of the Weald, eight miles (13 km) north-west of Tunbridge Wells. The church, part of a united benefice with Hever and Four Elms, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There is a village hall, a pub – The Kentish Horse
Four Elms is a village within the civil parish of Hever in the Sevenoaks District of Kent, England. The village is located on a crossroads between Edenbridge and Sevenoaks, two miles (3.2km) northeast of the former place. The church, part of a united benefice with Hever and Markbeech, is dedicated to St. Paul. – The Four Elms Inn serves the local community