HRA respects the privacy of its members and this policy explains the steps that it will always take to protect and keep secure the personal information it holds.
HRA works on behalf of the local residents, its members, “to preserve, protect, and if possible improve, the local environment; also to promote the well being of the community“. Members pay an annual subscription fee and receive copies of our ad hoc newsletters which contain information about local affairs. To inform members about local affairs, HRA needs to keep contact details of its members. This is limited to members’ names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers. This information is held for a legitimate interest to ensure HRA can communicate with members about local affairs. Should members no longer wish to be contacted by HRA, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Laura Palmer (Brooke Cottage, Uckfield Lane TN8 7LG 01732 864 257) or Jo Cockerill (Brocas Cottage, Brocas Road TN8 7LE 07932 141 951).
HRA shares members’ names and email addresses with Hever Parish Council. This is to ensure that where emails are being sent by both organisations, members only receive the communication once.
To comply with the law, HRA has adopted the following data protection policy to ensure that personal data is collected and used fairly, stored safely and not disclosed to any other person unlawfully.
Data protection policy
- Personal data will only be collected it if is relevant and limited to what is necessary to collect to help HRA communicate with its members to meet its stated aim.
- Members shall be made aware of their rights (for example, by adding a notice at the bottom of newsletters advising members how to unsubscribe from future newsletters).
- HRA shall take reasonable steps to ensure the personal data it holds is accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date (for example, when a committee member becomes aware of a change in a members’ personal data they shall inform the secretary).
- Personal data will be deleted if a member requests their details to be deleted or if it no longer is necessary to hold (for example, if a member has moved away).
- Personal data will be processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security (for example, by storing contact details in a password protected electronic file or when emails are sent to all members, members should be bcc’d to ensure their email addresses are kept private. Another example is to delete old emails to/from members as most emails contain personal information).
- HRA will never pass personal data to a third party without consent.
- HRA will endeavour to ensure all committee members are aware of this policy and adhere to it.